My Gotta Catch ‘Em All Picks are:
- The first, second, third, and fourth seasons of The West Wing. You can get them all, but those are the only ones I find essential.
- Band of Brothers, a nicely-executed adaptation of Steven Ambrose’s book about the “real” Easy Company in World War II.
- The first and second seasons of The Venture Brothers, a show I greatly admire for managing to pastiche, parody, and homage without ever feeling unoriginal or tired. It’s also hilarious. You’ll also find deals on Sealab 2021 andÂ Aqua Teen Hunger Force.
- The first season of The Wire, which will tell you enough to let you know you should buy the rest of this complex, smart, and surprisingly involving look at drugs and their impact on Baltimore. It and Deadwood are two series I’ve never finished because I didn’t want them to end. Yes, I can be a silly, sentimental sort.
- The complete run of Extras, the Ricky Gervais series that makes me cringe and laugh more than The Office, which is also on sale.
There’s other series that I thought were all right that you might more than me, like MI-5 (which took a severe nosedive with the end of its second season) and Black Books (which I’d love a lot more without the annoying Britcom Laughtrack). On top of everything else, the online retailer is discouting a lot of other DVD titles, so make sure you click around a bit.
(And yes, all of those are affiliate links that pay me a percentage in Amazon Credit. This allows me to buy books like Watching The Watchmen and The Dummies’ Guide To Burying The Homeless You Murder At Night.)
Edited To Add: Jason in the comments also informs me that there’s a pretty big sale on Criterion DVDs, too.Â So you’ve got that going for you.